• Bali, Indonesia •
Collaborative Learning • Special Dialogues •
Meetings and Sight Seeing • Transformational Experiences
A Program for Strengthening Leadership Facilitation
and Curriculum/Cultural Development
for Global Educators and Faculty-Led Global Programs
How can Global Learning courses go beyond enrichment to provide truly
transformational experiences for your students?
Participants will explore this question as they immerse
themselves in Balinese culture and learn best practices
for course design aimed at “creating socially responsible global citizens.”
With a foundation in intercultural communication and transformative learning
theory, we will explore how to optimally integrate academic curriculum
with cultural immersion to harness the life-changing power of Global Learning.
Global Faculty Engagement Program
In today’s global educational arena, opportunities are on the rise for students to enhance their learning through unique, cultural immersion and service-learning programs – bringing them in direct contact with the mix of cultural experience and academia. As the world becomes one large learning lab, faculty are being asked to integrate their course curriculum with inspiring experiences that both the faculty and students are often sampling together for the first time.
This highly interactive program is designed to support engaged learning and transformative education by strengthening the integration of academic curriculum with global cultural immersion experiences. Facilitative leadership and global engagement tools will be offered to enhance curriculum design and high impact learning practices.
- Learn to enhance high-impact learning practices.
- Integrate curriculum content with cultural immersion.
- Strengthen the capacity to identify personal assumptions.
- Expand students’ ability to engage the world in their thinking, reflecting and potential future work.
- Fun cultural engagement with personal time included.
Methods and Opportunities
Your week in Bali will include dialogues, facilitative learning and a series of cultural immersion and service components that bring the learning objectives into real experiences for all participants. Conversations and meetings will include Balinese cultural and academic leaders, experts in the field of facilitative leadership and collaborative learning, and global educators.
The program will be held in special cultural meeting spaces and will move to three different villages of Bali including Ubud, Pemuteran and Mengwi. Each area allows a variety of cultural immersion experiences along with beautiful surroundings for training, conversations and pure enjoyment. Time will be allocated for small group discussions and a sampling of the arts and performances of this rich indigenous culture.
Program includes gorgeous Balinese hotels in Ubud, Pemuteran and Mengwi. Each day will be part classroom and part cultural immersion. Evenings will include cultural performances and ceremonial rituals.
- Participate in private meetings with royal family, academic and cultural leaders
- Visit unique temple sites and ceremonies
- Attend seminar from the founder of the historic ARMA museum
- Attend dialogues with Balinese academic administrators and faculty
- Attend a private dinner and dialogue with the prince of Peliatan and see a Balinese dance performance at the palace
- Visit early morning market, rice field walks, holy temples
- Visit a local NGO and discuss the benefits of hands-on experiential global education
- Sample indigenous spa (best massages on the planet)
- Witness a session with local healer
- Participate in ceremonies at a sacred site
- Stay at a peaceful beachfront resort created with the principles of community-based tourism
- Hear a presentation about Pemuteran’s Bio Rock Coral Restoration Project and go snorkeling over the structures
- Share a meal with a local Balinese family at their home and join them for a ceremony at a local night temple
- Take a walk around Mengwi guided by a village elder and experience authentic village life
- Meet with a leading Balinese social entrepreneur for a dialogue on cultural exchange and immersion
- Visit one of Bali’s most celebrated temples by the sea
- A special final ceremony at the temple of a member of the Mengwi royal family
- Experience stepping outside your comfort zone
- Live in three different unique villages at the ocean, rice fields and cultural hub of Bali
Administered and Co-Facilitated by
Bali Institute for Global Renewal*
* Bali Institute for Global Renewal is the largest provider of cultural immersion and service learning programs for universities and high schoolers based in Bali, Indonesia. Other programs include internships and practicum opportunities, faculty training programs and other services to international groups and organizations in their quest to provide inspired learning towards global citizenship. Bali Institute is located in Ubud, Bali and Sausalito, California. It is the only affiliate member of ISEP, and an educational partner with Udayana University and Ganesha University — both based in Bali.
For more information on a custom-designed program
for your group, university or organization,
please email our Global Administration Director Nina Fojaco Reed.
Bali Institute works closely with faculty, group leaders or individual organizers
who are passionate about collaborating with the Balinese culture to create a
learning laboratory of culture, deep understanding and transformative experiences.