Bali Institute’s SIGNATURE Program in Partnership with Udayana University, Bali Indonesia
Social Entrepreneurship: Tools and Strategies for Making A Difference
Six Academic Credits from Udayana University, Bali Indonesia
• Bali, Indonesia •
MEET emerging leaders from around the world doing great work as agents of change
CONNECT in a new global network that encourages collective learning for inspired action
LEARN in collaboration, gaining insights into the creation of a thriving world that works for the benefit of all
ENGAGE with and empower each other to be truly motivated to the work needed in the coming years
JOIN in conversation around defining and elaborating on how to become a successful social entrepreneur
In the midst of major world challenges, something profound is being born—a recognition that ordinary people with concern, vision and commitment can make significant contributions to transforming the planet.
PLEASE JOIN US IN BALI This course runs over a 4-week period and combines classroom activities, small group (team) work with field experience on the island of Bali, Indonesia. In partnership with Udayana University, the Bali Institute for Global Renewal offers this program focused on the emerging field of social entrepreneurship, a model using community development and business principles while emphasizing social impact over profit. Students emerge with a vetted business plan and a full understanding of this emerging global phenomenon.
Through lecture, class discussion, small group activities, and fieldwork within Balinese culture, the goals of the course are to:
- Understand the emerging field of practice of social entrepreneurship (SE) on a global basis, including its foundational philosophies, theoretical underpinnings and macro economic context in the 21st century for this economic approach
- Learn how to work effectively in a “collaborative team” setting through study and practice
- Explore ways to research, identify and assess opportunities for social entrepreneurial approaches using conventional and unconventional business strategic tools
- Understand legal implications and know how to engage the proper legal tools & advice for the contemplated venture
- Explore several dynamic business models and organizational structures for success
- Learn the ins and outs of branding, especially values-based branding for social ventures
- Understand how funding sources work in this domain
- Develop a Business Plan and test that plan
- Understand several measurement approaches to success and the principles and practice of continuous improvement
Outside the workshops, participants will gain new insights by visiting thriving social enterprises and connecting with celebrated Balinese social entrepreneurs who are tackling some of the island’s most pressing environmental, social, health, and economic issues. Cultural immersion experiences woven throughout the program will provide participants with a deep understanding of the roles of creativity, innovation, and community in Balinese society, and how successfully harnessing these strengths has led to the success of local social entrepreneurs.
Bali Cultural Highlights:
- Visit a range of successful social enterprises in Bali and see their approach to tackling a range of local challenges
- Hear inspiring first-hand accounts of the journeys of successful social entrepreneurs from Bali and beyond
- Gain a deeper understanding of Bali’s unique culture through immersion experiences
- Connect with Balinese community leaders and young activists
- Explore Hindu temples
- Visit a traditional healer
- Learn Balinese arts through woodcarving, gamelan music and legong dance
- Visit a coastal fishing village and experience a traditional fishing boat ride
- Enjoy a BBQ on the beach with local Balinese
- Build a lasting network of friends and mentors while exploring all the adventures the island has to offer– sunrise boat rides, snorkeling, white water rafting, and more!
At the end of our time together, delegates leave with a toolbox of new insights, growth and clarity in moving ahead with personal initiatives that matter, along with a global network of ongoing team support.
Why Bali? Bali offers numerous opportunities to access its culture through unique, direct experiences including individual dialogues, visiting temples, meetings with the ordinary to the extraordinary Balinese – from rice farmers to world renowned healers, political leaders to cultural icons, academic specialists to entrepreneurial change agents. Read more …
Our Team This exciting program has been designed by a global team of social entrepreneurs and professors in the field, including Udayana faculty and Bali Institute staff:
- Linda Dunkel, CEO of Bali Institute and a 2006 winner of the “Best Boss” in America of small and mid-sized companies, while she was CEO of Interaction Associates — Adjunct faculty at Udayana University
- Marcia Jaffe, Founder, President, Chairman of the Board of the Bali Institute and a visionary global social entrepreneur — Adjunct faculty at Udayana University
- Ryan Feinstein, Program Director and Chief Learning Officer of the Bali Institute and an experienced facilitator and leader of Bali Institute’s Global Youth Programs for over a decade — Adjunct faculty at Udayana University
- Professors from Udayana University and others
$3500 — full four-week program with 6 academic credits
$3200 — full four-week program without academic credits
- 4 weeks of comfortable homestay and bungalow accommodations* in Ubud, Mengwi, Lovina and Amed
- All meals included
- All transportation throughout the program
- Airport transfers on the start and end date of the program
- All program activities and materials
- Round-trip flight to Bali
- Visa charges — approximately $50 ($35 entering visa and $20 exit visa) — prices subject to change
- Personal items
- Early arrival airport pickup
- Snacks and extra drinks
*Our pricing is based on shared rooms and we will do our best to match you with a roommate.
Bali Institute for Global Renewal and Udayana University, Bali, Indonesia, have been collaborating for several years to generate cross-cultural learning. We are committed to engaging with students at Udayana on a variety of issues and topics relevant to 21st century learning around global leadership, public health, indigenous psychology, biology and more. Udayana University is one of the top 10 academic institutions in Indonesia with more than 18,000 students including over 1,000 international students.
For more information on a custom-designed Social Entrepreneurship
program for your group, class or organization,
please email our Global Administration Director, Nina Fojaco Reed directly.
Bali Institute works closely with faculty, group leaders or individual organizers who are passionate about
collaborating with the Balinese culture to create a learning laboratory of
culture, deep understanding and transformative experiences.
Bali Institute for Global Renewal (BIGR) is the largest provider of cultural immersion and service learning programs for universities and high schoolers based in Bali, Indonesia. Other programs include internships and practicum opportunities, faculty training programs and other services for international groups and organizations in their quest to provide inspired, engaged and transformative learning. BIGR is located in Ubud, Bali and San Francisco, California. It is the only affiliate member of ISEP, and an educational partner with Udayana University and Ganesha University — both based in Bali, Indonesia.